Touring Town with a Scary Trio

In this post, you’re going to meet King, Jack and Quinn, three scary monsters created by Emma Matthews in her Creative Kids class at the Bunbury Regional Art Galleries (BRAG). Emma worked alongside her Art Partners mentors Billie Griffiths and Helen Seiver to bring the scary monsters to life.

Emma with Billie Griffiths and Quinn in the Bunbury Regional Art Galleries studio

Two of the scary monsters – Jack and Quinn – were first introduced to the world on the ABC Open’s Snapped: Two. There were some pretty serious shenanigans prior to the photo shoot, because ‘Snapped: Two’ was, after all, about two, and not three.  But, they made it through, and are leading us on a spirited tour of their favourite Bunbury hangouts.

Emma with Quinn, Jack and King

Emma with Quinn, Jack and King

Home is Where the Heart is

Jack is very fond of BRAG. That is, after all, where he hails from.  He’s a bit of a shy character, and therefore missed seeing Alyssa and Isabell at the opening of the Visions exhibition.  But, he definitely frequents the Galleries during quieter times, and relishes his chance to see Alyssa’s Love-Hate on exhibition until October 5.  BRAG:  64 Wittenoom Street, Bunbury.

Jack at the Bunbury Regional Art Galleries

Jack at the Bunbury Regional Art Galleries

Tea for Two

King loves Gnomesville in the Ferguson Valley. According to a recent article in the South Western Times, Gnomesville started as a light-hearted protest against Dardanup Shire Council’s construction of a roundabout near the site in 1995.  Since then, gazillions of gnomes have made it their home.  King’s special friend, Jerome the Gnome, had been finding Gnomesville a little claustrophobic.  When news of this reached King, he extended Jerome a gracious invitation to come to tea at Hartley Anderson Park.  Jerome was delighted at the prospect, and pitched wearing his custom designed beanie created by knitter extraordinaire Claire Pendrigh Elliott.  Hartley Anderson Park:  off Ocean Drive, South Bunbury.

King with Jerome the Gnome in Hartley Anderson Park

King with Jerome the Gnome in Hartley Anderson Park

Accessible Play for All

King, Jack and Quinn all love to frolic at the Bunbury Accessible Playground. According to the Bunbury Wildlife Park’s website: “This play space has carefully selected pieces of play equipment that truly make it one of the region’s first accessible playgrounds.”  King, being the biggest and the tallest of the scary monsters, often has his say about who goes first and who does what.  But, no matter, there are lots of pieces of equipment to keep everyone fully engaged.  Bunbury Accessible Playground:  adjacent to the Bunbury Wildlife Park, Prince Philip Drive, South Bunbury.

Scary Monsters at the Bunbury Accessible Playground

Scary Monsters at the Bunbury Accessible Playground

Down Time in Curious Café

Quinn is tiny. He weighs in at 30 grams.  One of his favourite spots is the friendly and laid back Bianco (pizza and café) on Victoria Street.  He can hang there for hours checking out all the fascinating bits of décor on the walls, counters and windowsills.  The place is so chock full of curious bits and pieces that Quinn doesn’t look out of place when he’s hanging about.  Because he doesn’t stand out, no one fusses, and he loves that.  Bianco:  46 Victoria Street, Bunbury.

Standing Tall

King, being tall and slender, likes to stand beside the Bunbury Lighthouse and pretend he’s equal in stature although it’s 27.4 metres and he’s a mere 37 centimetres.  Being a bit of a scary fashion icon, he loves how the black and white checks of the Lighthouse complement his own snazzy floral print.  The fabulous black and white pattern of the Lighthouse makes it highly visible for kilometres.  King only dreams of having such a visual impact.  Bunbury Lighthouse:  Ocean Drive, Bunbury.

King at the Bunbury Lighthouse

King at the Bunbury Lighthouse

Dizzy Heights

Jack loves heights. He regularly scales the spiral staircase of the Marlston Hill Lookout Tower.  Jack enjoys the spectacular 360 degree views of Bunbury, the lighthouse and the Indian Ocean.  He especially likes how the Lookout Tower makes him feel taller than King.  The Tower was opened in 1988 as an Australian Bi-Centennial project.  That’s just a tad older than Jack!  Marlston Hill Lookout Tower:  Whale View, Bunbury.

Jack on the Marlston Hill Lookout Tower

Jack on the Marlston Hill Lookout Tower

Over to You

Emma, King, Jack and Quinn would love to hear about your favourite Bunbury hangouts in the comments section. And, who knows, the scary monsters might surprise you in one of your special haunts.  They promise to be on their best behavior and will try not to frighten you.

71 thoughts on “Touring Town with a Scary Trio

1. Renee Kaczmarcka

Oh they’re fantastic Emma… getting bigger AND scarier! They’re also very adventurous; what cool creations you’ve made. I wonder whether they’d brave a visit to ECU Bunbury’s Community Garden, it’s certainly a colourful and productive time of year to nestle into some vegie patches (and spook a few students)!

1. Art Partners Post author

Greetings Renee! Emma will be delighted to hear from you, that’s for sure. Sounds like a great plan you have in mind for the scary monsters. Where is the ECU Bunbury’s Community Garden? I think we’ll just have to check it out.

1. Renee Kaczmarcka

The campus is at 585 Robertson Drive, and the garden is just south of building 5. Can I expect a little forewarning… or should I prepare to be spooked any minute?

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Helen for being such a significant part in all our journeys. Thanks also for working alongside Emma in one of those sessions which brought the scary monsters to life. More coming soon!

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Irene for checking out the post. You’ll just have to come and visit our lovely town. And, when you do, we’ll link you up with a scary monster or two to show you the sights. What fun awaits!

2. Murray Cook

Art Partners do a terrific job around Bunbury & the South West. Their ethos nicely matches that of the City of Bunbury Community Access Committee and their bid to make Bunbury the most accessible regional City in Australia by 2020 🙂

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Murray for checking out the post and for endorsing our work. It’s great that the work of Art Partners and the Community Access Committee is heading in similar directions. Please stay in touch.

3. Isabell Evans

Wow Emma, what great art you have created and what a great snapshot of life around Bunbury. One of my favourite places is the playground and beach at Jetty Baths in Marlston Hill – great views, quiet beach and fun for all ages with a good coffee nearby. My other favourite spot is along the Leschenault Inlet walking track – as you pass over the boardwalk heading towards Koombana Bay there is a park bench nestled amongst the trees with a gorgeous view of the Inlet and City. Such a hidden treasure! Keep up the good work Emma 🙂

4. Johanna

Love this post and the way you’ve involved community with destination tourism. A very clever way to cross pollinate two diverse topics in an interesting way and to highlight Art Partners and the great work you do too. Well done to Emma on creating such interesting and adventurous monsters – I look forward to spotting them in more places. How about on one of those new seats looking out over Koombana Bay to the side of Marlston waterfront – I love that this is a free place to sit and while away a few thoughtful moments.

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks Johanna. We too love this post – so original and quirky. I think the scary monsters are heading up to Edith Cowan University tomorrow for the auction of 9 x 5 inch panels. They’ve been invited to the Community Garden, but I’m sure they’d be up for a visit to the seats looking out over Koombana Bay. Keep an eye out!

1. Art Partners Post author

I know. Can you believe it? Sometimes it really pays to take time to look carefully. If there are monsters, I wonder what else there is? Thanks Michael for stopping by.

5. BRAG WA

Well done Emma and Art Partners! We are delighted to see that the scary monsters have been on so many adventures around Bunbury. I’m so glad that Jerome still likes his hat!

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks BRAG for checking out the post. The scary monsters are having a great time indeed. Jerome’s beanie hasn’t faded with time – it’s still bright red. Perhaps it’s an indication of the fine quality yarn used to craft it?

6. Amanda Doust

What an advernture. Jack is far braver than me as I would not go as close the edge of the tower as he has. Look forward to perhaps catching them out and about Bunbury now Spring is here. Lovely imaginative work.

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Amanda! Yes, I think we’re going to see more of the scary monsters. In fact, plans are being put in place for them to be at the ECU (Bunbury Campus) expo on Tuesday, October 14. Why not come by?

7. Susie Waller

Ooooh how scary (but loveable) King, Jack and Quinn are – beautiful monster creations Emma! They certainly are an adventurous bunch… and cheeky 😀 I l look forward to looking out for them next time I am in Bunbury, perhaps even at my favourite hang out, the Lookout Tower.

1. Art Partners Post author

It’s great to hear from you Susie! Yes, the monsters are great fun to be around. That begs the question, when are YOU going to be around? They would love to see you in person.

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks Neva! Yes, there’s nothing like something fashioned by hand as opposed to being popped out of a mould. We have many lovely locations in our small city of Bunbury, so there are plenty of opportunities for funky photo shoots!

8. Rosalie Carmichael

Hi Emma, you and your friends did make me laugh. King, Jack and Quinn must come and hang out at Morrissey Homesteads Sensory Garden when the ALCOA workers have finished planting it in October. We’ll see how many staff we can frighten. Cheers Rosalie

1. Art Partners Post author

Dear Rosalie, How delightful to hear from you. We’ll check in with Emma, but I’m sure the scary monsters would love to visit your new Sensory Garden. Please stay in touch and let us know when planting is finished. Looking forward!

9. Art Partners Post author

This comment just in from Vahri McKenzie: Dear King, Jack, Quinn and Emma, What a great story and what fabulous creatures you all are! I love the shades of ‘Amelie’, which had the touring gnome sending postcards home. You even pay homage with a gnome visit of your own!

10. Louis Ariano

What a great team of dedicated workers who make Bunbury a great place to live. Besides the splendid contributions of Emma, Billie and Helen, I feel there are others behind the project that made it so successful. The imagination is certainly genuine and original. Depicting the various locations of Bunbury adds as a tourist attraction. Perhaps other organizations will copy your idea. Excellent enriching work everyone.

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Louis. Yes, there are so many people: Amanda, Edy, Hannah, Verity, Judi, Simon, Veronica, Andrew, Isabell, Ric, Sam, Sharon, Pam, Coleen, Judy, Ruslan, Rocheen, Jill, Dee, Mel, Nicolette, Marina, Amanda…just to name a few!

11. André

La création de ces trois « Scary Monsters » démontre bien que la production artistique appartient à tous. Je suis très content de voir ces objets crée par Emma, de voir son point de vue à ce niveau. Cela enrichi mon point de vue.

1. Art Partners Post author

How wonderful André to receive a comment in French! The Art Partners team would like to offer the following translation for our non French-reading followers. We hope we nailed it: “The creation of these three scary monsters once again shows that creativity is something deeply seated inside all of us. I find it most enjoyable to see these creatures coming straight from Emma’s creative mind. If this enables me to better appreciate her perspective, it also enriches my own.”

12. Art Partners Post author

This comment just in from Jen Bennett: I love the scary monsters, the photos are brilliant. I am however a little concerned for Jack at the top of that tower, lucky there was no big gust of wind!

13. Art Partners Post author

Dear Renee, Thanks for inviting the scary monsters to the Community Garden at ECU. I just wanted to confirm that they did make an appearance, but got lost in the cabbage patch! You might be interested in knowing that they will be making guest appearances at the Mental Health Week 2014 Art Exhibition at Centre Point in Bunbury on Monday, October 6, and the Social Work and Community Services Expo at ECU on Tuesday, October 14 (12:30 pm to 3:00 p.m.). We really hope you’ll be able to catch them live!

1. Renee Kaczmarcka

Dear Art Partners, thanks for the tip. Seems I escaped a spooking in the Community Garden… I may have to do a little spooking of my own, now that I know where they’ll be (don’t tell them I said that)! Is the art exhibition at Centre Point on the Monday only, during regular shopping hours?

14. Daniel McLachlan

Emma you have such great talent. I love the places you took your scary monsters to. Next time you should take your scary monsters out to a chinese restaurant.

1. Renee

Nestled amid kumquats at Bianco café; getting lost in a cabbage patch at the ECU Community Garden… I have a sneaking suspicion they’re as ‘foodie’ as they are scary!

15. Danielle McLachlan

Hi Emma, I think your scary monsters would love to go to the top of the Cape Natualiste Lighthouse to do some whale watching. I am quite sure you would love to join them in this wonderful activitity as well. Happy Touring

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Danielle. It’s great of you to keep in touch via the blog. We love your idea of Cape Naturaliste Lighthouse. BTW: the scary monsters will be at ECU for the Social Work and Community Services Expo on October 14. Maybe see you there?

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Ingrid! Always lovely to hear from you. Funny you should mention ‘Where’s Wally,’ because that did cross our minds especially when we were in Bianco where there are lots of places to hide!

16. Kandy

Congratulations Emma and Art Partners. Loved reading the adventures of the Scary Trio. The colours and creativity are most befitting with the glorious spring days!

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Kandy! It’s great to hear from you. We’re delighted that you enjoyed our story of the scary monsters. We look forward to staying touch as summer rolls in.

17. Barb Fitzgerald

Emma and Art Partners, I loved reading about King, Jack and Quinn the scary monsters .The pictures and story where really fun. Well done Emma !

1. Art Partners Post author

Great to hear from you Barb. It’s wonderful to know that you loved reading about King, Jack and Quinn. You’ll have to have a good look around Bianco next time you’re there to see if you can catch sight of little Quinn.

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Donna. It’s terrific to hear from you. I think the scary monsters would love a trip to Winnipeg. They could take in a bit of the Royal Winnipeg Ballet perhaps! Or, a trip to the zoo to experience some Canadian wildlife. Thanks for stopping by.

18. Edy Rees

Hi Emma, What a crazy adventure for you and the monsters around Bunbury ! I had a real giggle at their mischievous antics. Great creative work Emma 🙂

19. Jenny Jay

Hey Emma!
    Your scary friends have helped me get to know Bunbury a little more. I didn’t know about the lookout and I lived in Bunbury once! I thought I knew it all but I clearly need to come and check Bunbury out again. I would love to be spooked by by Quinn, Jack or King or would I?

Jenny

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Jenny. How lovely to hear from you. I think you need to get yourself back to Bunbury for a little tourist time. Perhaps Emma and the scary monsters can tour you around town. Wouldn’t that be fun!

20. Mike

Emma, you knocked these out of the park! What an incredible job and artistic ability you have. It was sooooo much fun for me to go on the trek through town to see where each of the monsters was hiding. Thank you so much for sharing also, Wanda 🙂

21. Lindy Loo

Thank you Emma for such a novel way to tour Bunbury and see all the wonderful and scary sights.
    Bunbury is very lucky to have you and your monsters to show people like me around. It was such fun looking for King, Jack and Quinn. Not many towns have special people like you who are proud of where they live. Maybe we should hide like the trio and keep it a secret.
    I will look forward to reading about your next adventure 🙂

Dear Lindy Loo
      We do love you;
      Come hang with us
      And we will fuss;
      That you will see
      More than the sea;
      We’ll happily clown
      Around our town;
      And you and we
      Will laugh with glee!
      (King, Jack and Quinn)

1. Renee

The scary monsters are poets too?! Well, this opens up a whole new realm of secretive talents. Spooking and reciting… I do have to wonder what else they have in store for us…

1. Art Partners Post author

Sandi from Canada! It’s just lovely to hear from you. I think the scary monsters would love a quick trip across the sea to check out the marvellous sites and celebrations in your part of the world. I think you partake more in Halloween than we do in Australia. A quick trip, arriving in Canada on October 31, would be perfect don’t you think? Thanks for stopping by.

22. Julia

Lovely cute little monsters, as monsters go. How would they like to hang out around Busselton jetty? They could scare off a few fish, and save them from the hook!

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Julia! Yes, the monsters are a funny combination of cute and scary. We think the Busselton Jetty is a grand idea. We’ll have to run that by Emma to see how it fits into the touring itinerary. We’d love you to stay in touch!

23. Billie

Hey Emma,
    What great little characters these guys are. During my busy days out and about in Bunbury I have been looking around expecting King, Jack or Quinn to pop up behind me to give me a scare. I hope they have been enjoying their travels.
    Wonder where they will pop up next? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr…..
    Billie

1. Art Partners Post author

It’s great to hear from you Billie. We know you’ve been super busy, but we’re delighted that you’ve popped up in the comments section! Stay tuned for more on the scary monsters.

24. Carensa Werder

Great work by Emma creating these scary creatures! I enjoyed the tour of Bunbury’s hotspots with King, Quinn and Jack! One of my favorite spots in Bunbury is the walk around the Leschenault inlet. Maybe these guys could become a mascot for Bunbury city! 🙂

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Carensa. Emma’s scary monsters have really had their moments of fame, that’s for sure. I think they’re having a bit of a rest after all the excitement, but I’m sure they will re-emerge after hibernating for a short while.

25. JillE

Delighted to see that Tea was taken in Hartley Anderson Reserve! This is a well-kept secret for special people who love our natural bushland, possums, birds, nature play and exercising their pooches. I trust Jerome and King weren’t scared by the magpies!

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Jill! How wonderful to hear from someone who is an advocate for Hartley Anderson Reserve! I think that Jerome and King might have had some meat treats tucked away in their picnic basket ready to appease the magpies. Thanks for stopping by.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s