Apple Girl’s Top Tips for Healthy Living

This month, we’d like to introduce you to our guest blogger for 2015. Her name is Apple Girl.

She was inspired in part by the work of South African artist Helen Brink who transforms youthful drawings into dimensional characters. Below is a creation of Helen’s inspired by a drawing by Jarred at age three and a half.

With this amazing start to our journey, here’s our guest blogger Apple Girl.

How it all started

Well hello there. My name is Apple Girl, and I was originally created on paper by the imaginative Alyssa Skippings with support from her inspiring mentor Isabell Evans. All this took place in their Manga Madness art class at Stirling Street Arts Centre in Bunbury. Here are some images of how it all started.

And, here are Alyssa’s images of me in more detail.

I was then transformed into a real girl by textile artist Deborah Campbell.

Alyssa inspired me to live a really healthy life, and in my guest post, I want to share with you my top tips. Before we get started, all these totally amazing images were shot by photographers Carensa Watts and Rob Cox of oxy images. Here we go…

Eat well

I do my best to maintain a healthy diet. Apples, which are bursting with vitamin C, are a dietary staple. That’s why I love going down to the produce section of the local supermarket and hanging out with apples. It’s the apples, after all, that give me my superpowers. And, as they always say: “an apple a day keeps the doctor away.”

Apple Girl with apples. Photo by Carensa Watts

Apple Girl in her element. Photo by Carensa Watts

Keep up your fluid intake

Although I absolutely love my apple cider – here I am at Natural Temptations – I drink it in moderation (honestly). One of my mantras is: “everything in moderation.” It’s really important that we drink a lot of water along with our favourite drinks which are often loaded with sugar.

Apple Girl with cider. Photo by Carensa Watts

Apple Girl with cider. Photo by Carensa Watts

Try to make friends

Making new friends and keeping the old ones is a never ending journey. Here I am with Alyssa, textile artist Deborah and the Uthando dolls (which Deborah and her artist friends make for African children). We’re all feeling a little shy, but we’ll get there.

Apple Girl with Deborah and Alyssa. Photo by Carensa Watts

Apple Girl with Deborah, Alyssa and the Uthando dolls. Photo by Carensa Watts

Join a club

It’s well known that being a member of a club or group is good for one’s mental health. It gives us a sense of purpose and belonging. That’s why I’m a member of the Universal Supergirls Club. Our Club members are united by the fact that we’re always trying to do positive things for people. And, hey, I’m even part of the ABC Open ‘In the Club’ project!

Here I am with Alyssa and her mentor Isabell. They’re also supergirls, but we’re not in the same club. They’re in the Art Partners club. Think they’ll let me join their club?

Apple Girl with Alyssa and Isabell. Photo by Carensa Watts

Apple Girl with Alyssa and Isabell. Photo by Carensa Watts

Do good deeds

Every day, I try to do a good deed. I really like going to the Shoe String Café in the Intown Centre to offer a cheery word or two to people who are stopping by for their morning tea. When the weather is warm and sunny, I like to hang around outside and flash my grin for those arriving. I have been told by people that I make their day.

Apple Girl arrives at the Intown Centre. Image by Rob Cox

Apple Girl arrives at the Intown Centre. Image by Rob Cox

Get a good sleep

Getting a good night’s sleep is what helps us recharge for the next day’s adventures. Although I’m often out during the day doing my good deeds, Alyssa makes sure I’m safely tucked in at night. I even have my own special pillow!

The end

It’s been wonderful sharing my top tips with you. But, before I say good-bye, I must ask if you’ve had your apple today?

Apple Girl ready for her next adventure. Image by Rob Cox

Apple Girl ready for her next adventure. Image by Rob Cox

More from Art Partners?

If you’re wanting more from Art Partners and our amazing adventures, you can subscribe to our monthly Stories & Stuff e-newsletter right here.

69 thoughts on “Apple Girl’s Top Tips for Healthy Living

1. Art Partners Post author

Hi Kelly! It’s great to hear from you and to know that you are proud of Alyssa. I’m glad we’re together with that, because I’m very proud of her too! Cheers, Apple Girl

1. Deb Andrew

Hi there. I was so happy to have been shown this blog Alyssa. Congratulations to all involved on an amazing stoy and concept. I loved the way the story was in sections, loved the pictures and especially love the Apple Girl doll and concept. Well done to you all. 🙂

1. Art Partners Post author

Why Hello there Deb! How nice of you to stop by the blog and to offer up a comment. Delighted to know that you love the way we put the story together, the images and the overall concept. Kudos to all the supergirls (and one superguy: photographer Rob) involved. Love, Apple Girl

2. Andrew Blair Duncan

Just like Apple Girl I like Apple Cider, but I make sure I keep the sugar low by having dry cider. I love the manga comic style Lyss. Great work.

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello there superguy Andrew! So pleased to hear from you and to know that’s we’re united by our love for apple cider. Thanks for dry cider tip. I’ll have to give that a try. Ciao for now, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Dear Deborah, thanks so much for the role you played in bringing me to life. I love flying, and I’m thrilled that photographer Rob was quick enough to catch me with his camera. Hope to see you again soon. Luv, Apple Girl

3. Carensa Watts

Apple girl is an inspiration to us all! She is lucky to have good friends like Alyssa and Isabell to share her adventures with. Look forward to hearing about the future adventures of apple girl 🙂

1. Art Partners Post author

Carensa, you’re a champion (and a supergirl). Thanks for the role you played over the past several months to support everyone to get this all pulled together. Luv ya, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Hi Sam, and thanks for checking out the post. So many people were part of creating me and bringing me to life. Hope we meet sometime soon. Cheers, Apple Girl

4. Janine

What a lovely way reading all about Apple Girl and her healthy tips. How lovely to see our beautiful and very talented Alyssa create such wonderful art. To the lovely people and organisations who have made all of this possible, well done and thank you.

1. Art Partners Post author

Thank you Janine for taking the time to write such lovely words. I would be thrilled to meet you one day. I’ll have to ask Alyssa to see if she can make that happen. Looking forward, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Oh Abbie! Wonderful to hear from you. Delighted to know that you like the close up of my face. I hope I get to see your beautiful face sometime soon! Luv ya, Apple Girl

5. Mark Sadowski

Apple Girl, you have the makings of the next Super Hero……complete with cape, flying skills and the ability to rescue populations. You rock!

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks Mark. I must say that you have a reputation yourself for being a bit of a super hero. Keep up the flying, or rather the bicycling? Love ya, Apple Girl

6. Louise Tarrier

Wow Apple girl what great tips for living a healthy and happy life. Alyssa you have created one cool super hero.

7. Johanna

What a fab and fun post packed with great sensible info and hooked onto a magic idea. Well done Alyssa – and go Apple Girl! More stories please! Perhaps Apple Girl should have her own blog 😉

1. Art Partners Post author

Wow! My own blog! That’s a fantastic idea Johanna. I think I’ll have to chat with Alyssa and Isabell about that one and see what they think. In the meantime, thanks for checking out the post. Love, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Just delightful to hear from you Sharon. Glad that you like the messages that Alyssa has instilled in me. Hope you continue to follow our story. See ya, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Linda. Here I am right backatcha! Love your smoothie. Here’s one to add to your repertoire: 1 apple, 1 cup blueberries, 2 cups baby spinach, 1/4 avocado and a little water. Oh so good. I know you’re far away, but please keep in touch. Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Hello Kathy. Great to hear from you and thanks for checking out the post. Glad you like our healthy messages. They’re Alyssa’s messages. I’ve just adopted them. Love ya, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Hey budgettraveltalk! One of the great things about most of my healthy messages is that they’re pretty much free. Now that fits in perfectly with budgettraveltalk! Happy travels, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Danielle McLachlan! Are you the mother of that amazing illustrator named Daniel? I’ve heard about him, and you as well (cause you’re an artist too). Glad you find the post inspiring and creative. Love ya (and Daniel too), Apple Girl

8. Lindy Loo

Invite Apple Girl into your day
    and many benefits will come your way.
    Healthy and crunchy enjoyable to eat
    and many apple friends you are likely to meet.
    Take Apple Girl on your side
    and with a munch enjoy the ride
    Guaranteed not to bore,
    Apple girl will stay with you right to the core.
    Bursting with plenty of vitamin C
    Apple Girl please can you stay with me 🙂

Oh Lindy Loo,
      I do love you;
      Cause apples come and apples go,
      But I am here and all aglow;
      I do good deeds,
      for those in need;
      I flash my smile,
      And fly those miles.

9. Isabell

Apple Girl I am so proud of you for sharing your healthy messages with the community! What a 21st century super hero you are with your healthy messages. Can’t wait to see what more is in store! Love, Izzy

1. Art Partners Post author

Hey Izzy! Lovely to hear from you and to know that you are proud of me for sharing healthy and sensible messages. Because I’ve been flying around, I know you are so, so busy these days. I didn’t write about this in my post, but don’t forget to breathe deeply. And, of course, have your apple a day and try for a good sleep at night. A few simple things can make the chaos a whole lot easier! Love ya and see ya soon, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Hey Helen! I was wondering when we’d hear from you. As for my flying, it goes like this…Alyssa decided I would have a cape, and she drew one for me. Then, Deb got busy and stitched one up! And, that keeps me airborne. Photographer Rob had to be pretty quick with his camera to catch me though. Maybe you could ask Deb to sew you a cape and we could go flying? Love and hugs, Apple Girl

10. shannon dinadis

Wow apple girl sounds really amazing. Well done alyssa for coming up with such a creative and imaginative concept to bring to life. I try to eat healthy just like Apple girl but i don’t drink as much water as i should. Thank you for reminding me to do that Apple girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Well hello there Shannon! Great to hear from you. I’m super happy to know that you try to eat healthy stuff. But, ya, I hear you when it comes to the water consumption. I think it’s something that most of us struggle with. Let’s just keep trying. Blessings, Apple Girl

1. Art Partners Post author

Dearest Irene, I was thinking you this morning as I was flying around with my cape fully extended. I agree with you that the tips are VITAL. But, it’s like VITAL = VITALITY isn’t it. We put the tips into practice and the vitality then flows our way! Sending love, Apple Girl

11. waferal

today no
    alas
    no apples for me
    strawberries and blueberries I did taste
    but fortunately
    a healthy food choice

I wish more people would heed your tips
    for they are indeed so simple
    great article apple girl
    the comments will keep you flying
    so inspirational you are.

12. André, Toronto

Une pomme, c’est délicieux, et c’est bon, pour tous 🙂
    Quel beau travail que tu accomplis, Apple Girl.

13. Louis Ariano

What an original way for Alyssa and the concept of Apple Girl to promote healthy living. Also, the message of living a fulfilling life by doing good deeds and thinking of others enriches life and makes it very rewarding. I know someone who told me that “she lives for others.” That attitude is endorsed by Apple Girl.

Blessings,

Louis Ariano

1. Art Partners Post author

Thanks so much Louis! Great to hear from you and to know that you like my messages. And, yes, doing good deeds is really enriching. I have a feeling you do your fair share of them. Love to you, Apple Girl

14. Pingback: 6 Life Lessons from the Making of Apple Girl: The Movie | Art Partners

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s